Saturday, June 20, 2009

Pandan Butter Cake



Growing up, we always have at least a pot or two of Pandan plants at our backyard. Pandan is a type of plant where you use the juice of the leaves to add color and fragrance to your bakery or cooking. You can also put a stalk of Pandan leaves in your dessert (or tong sui) to add some flavor to it. It is a very common Southeast Asian plant in cooking and baking.

It was a challenge to make anything with Pandan in the US. I wasn't able to find Pandan leaves until last week at LeeLee's Supermarket. Yipee! I was so thrilled when I found it at one of the frozen sections. Together with the Pandan leaves, I also bought a little bottle of Pandan flavoring (paste). Since I had everything on hand, I made a Pandan Butter Cake this afternoon. I refered to the Yochana's Cake Delight website for the recipe.

The cake came out fabulous! The smell of Pandan, butter and coconut was irresistable. Of course, the taste of the cake was excellent as well! We plan to make a cup of Vietnamese condensed milk ice coffee tomorrow with a slice or two of the cake. Yummy way to enjoy our weekend. ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment