Sunday, September 13, 2009

Madeleines


I always like this little French pastry - Madeleines since I moved to the Western world. It comes in different sizes - from tiny little one to as large as your palm. Somehow I think that its seashell shape makes this little pastry looks more attractive! It is definitely a good pastry to go with your afternoon tea or coffee. :)

I came across this seemingly easy to make recipe from My Kitchen Snippets a few weeks ago. If you look carefully (LOL quite easy to spot actually), you can see some tiny holes on my madeleine's surface. I think that was due to the fact that I didn't let my batter 'sit' for a bit before I put the batch in the oven (to let the air rises to surface). Oh well, I tried to disguise it with a lot of powder sugar! :)

Ingredient:
8 tbsp of melted butter

1/2 cup of flour
1/2 cup of cake flour
Pinch of salt
2 large eggs
2/3 cup of sugar
1 tsp of vanilla
Grated zest of 1 lemon or orange
Powder sugar

Method:
1) Pre-heat over to 375 F, Butter and lightly flour the Madeleine pan.

2) Beat eggs, sugar together until pale and foamy
3) Add in vanilla and lemon/orange zest, then the flour and salt. Beat until just combined.

4) In a low speed, pour in melted butter
5) Spoon batter into madeleine pan, let the batter sits in the pan for 10 minutes
6) Bake for 8-10 minutes until its golden brown.

7) Turn over immediately onto cooling rack.

8) Dust with some powder sugar.

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment